What is teeth grinding?
Teeth grinding, more formally known as bruxism, is a condition that affects many of our patients. While some people knowingly grind and clench their teeth during the day, a large number of people who suffer from bruxism grind their teeth at night as they sleep. This leaves them unaware of the condition, but it can result in serious pain and discomfort. Common symptoms of bruxism include:
- Frequent tension headaches and migraines
- Severely worn tooth enamel, exposing the inner layers of the tooth
- Indentations on the side of the tongue
- Flattened down, cracked, chipped, or very worn teeth
- Chronic jaw and facial pain
- A tired or tight feeling in the jaw muscles
If you notice these signs and symptoms, you may suffer from teeth grinding and clenching.
What is a night guard?
A night guard is a dental appliance our dentists use to treat teeth grinding. The night guard is a mouth guard that fits over your teeth to prevent them from clenching and grinding together while you sleep. Dr. Koontz will make certain your custom-made night guard fits comfortably so you can peacefully sleep through the night while protecting your teeth from the effects of bruxism. To learn more about how a night guard can benefit your smile, we invite you to contact us today at North Creek Dental Care.