In order to make sure you have the best smile this summer Hygienist, Susan has a few tips for you!
- Dental care on the go. It’s always smart to have a to-go toothbrush and toothpaste in your car or bag. Are you planning on traveling? Don’t forget your toothbrush, toothpaste, floss and any retainers or night guards.
- Avoid sugary and carbonated drinks. Sugar is the leading cause for cavities and carbonic acid is hard on your enamel. We want to help you prevent future toothaches. Instead of going for the sugary sodas or carbonated beverages try an unsweetened tea or fruit infused water. However, if you do choose a sugary beverage, try to brush your teeth right after.
- Water. This summer, make sure you are drinking plenty of water in order to stay hydrated and maintain a clean and moist mouth. We prefer tap water because of the benefits from fluoride. Fluoride helps strengthen your teeth and fight off cavities!
- Use SPF on your lips. Many people forget that your lips can get sunburned just as easily as your face. When applying sunscreen make sure to add a little extra to your lips, or get a chapstick that already has SPF in it.
- Schedule your summer dental cleaning! We encourage our patients to come in for a cleaning twice a year (or every six months). Has it been a while since your last cleaning? Call today to schedule your summer appointment.